Rick Pierce Tournament / Award
We are looking for your input on who this year's male and female recipient of the Rick Pierce award should be. The award will be given at this year's Rick Pierce tournament (12/11-12 at MIT).
Please submit your nominees to one of the committee members listed at the end of this message. Please just don't send a name. Tell us about the person and why you and others feel they deserve the award. This is a sportsmanship award but it is more. The candidate should be a respected member of the volleyball community, someone who helps promote the sport of volleyball, and a person that people like to play with and against.
Who was Rick Pierce? Rick was one of the greatest individuals that New England volleyball ever produced. Even though he was one of the greatest competitors on the court while playing volleyball at its highest level, players on both side of the court would consider Rick their friend. He exemplified the meaning of sportsmanship by always playing hard, but with a smile on his face.
But that was enough for Rick when it came to volleyball. Rick dedicated countless hours to the promotion of the sport he loved. Coaching, organizing, and volunteering were a way of life for Rick.
Unfortunately, while driving home from the NE Regionals in April, 1987, Rick's car was struck by a drunk driver. In a split second, new England volleyball lost one of its greatest assets.
- 1987 Scott Reid and Helen Taylor
- 1988 Gene Crouch and Jan Wilson
- 1989 Rich Barton and Patty DesMaisons
- 1990 Jack Grosslein/Ken Duarte and Chris Stearns
- 1991 Steve McEntire and Lois Petty
- 1992 Al Kumpey Donna Ferreira
- 1993 Mark Robarts and Kathy Federline
- 1994 Matt Jassen and Pam Hall-Grady
- 1995 Wendy Miranda and Dorothy Hert
- 1996 Tom Wilson and Chris Pecina
- 1997 Tom Sweeney and Pauline Desrosier
- 1998 Pat Ryan and Sue Wilson
- 1999 Glenn Corwin and Candice Parent
- 2000 Ray Labbe and Ann Riedl
- 2001 Darryl Bullock and Pauline Jurasinski
- 2002 Brett Crandall and Jane Curty
- 2003 Dennis Fai and Katie Horne
- 2004 Paul Santos and Debbie Robertson
- 2005 Chet Oberhelman and Christy Kelsey
- 2006 Maurice Chalonec and Laura Gleason
- 2007 Brian Kangas and Julia Robarts
- 2008 Joshua Wachs and Darcy Duke
- 2009 Jeffry Powell and Samantha Lampert
Award committee members:
- Jeffry Powell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Judy Katalina email@example.com
- Samantha Lampert firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rick Pierce Invitational Tournament will be held December 11-12 this year.